I've been founder of #artnouveau
for almost four years and we are now a little over two thousand members (and a little over three thousand Watchers). It seems like a good time to take it to the next level.
So far we've hosted three very successful contests, but I would like to do more to make #artnouveau
even more engaging. That is why I aim to get a Super Group status for the group.
What I imagine we would do with a Super Group status:
- Journal features and front page features to help gain exposure for dA's Art Nouveau artists.
"Featuring other artists work by a third party has always helped us less-known artists in promotion one's art. In my experience, without exposure it is close to impossible to become known in the art field and people who specialize in Art Nouveau even more so." -=sycamoreleaf
- Art Nouveau themed journal design to make updates more pleasant to the eyes (I'm working on making it at the moment).
- Challenges to inspire members of the group to create new and interesting art (e.g. The Ten Styles Art Nouveau challenge).
- Illustrated informative journals about the Art Nouveau style and the related artists (featuring art from the group) to help members learn more about the style.
"Art Nouveau is a complex global artistic movement which still holds resonances even to this day, but one that sadly is hard to find any info about given the fact that it was "la moda" for a very short while. So far the vast majority only knows very little about it. Most are aware of Alphonse Mucha's works and a few are starting to be aware of Klimt's works, but very few are aware of the works of people like Théophile Steinlen, Jan Toorop, Charles Rennie Mackintos, Joseph Maria Olbrich, Otto Wagner and the list goes on.
Personally, this is one of the proposed updates that had me squee with glee, because this would allow artists to educate themselves about the movement more in debt without having to search outdated archives or buy expensive books that hardly ever truly explain the movement, and thus might even incorporate parts of it or adapt ideas from these great people in their own works." -=sycamoreleaf
- Countdown until end of contest (when we hold our next one) to help members keep track of the deadline.
"The last contest is one I personally had a lot of fun participating in, but I had a hard time remembering when the due date was. I had the date placed in my timetable, but since I am a paranoid person I was constantly checking the group for updates, but that is sometimes hard when you need to search via journal. So yes, I think I speak on behalf of the group that this feature would indeed be a grand one!" -=sycamoreleaf
- Polls to get the opinions of the members of the group and better suit the group and its events to the members' interests.
- Make the front page more inviting to both current members as well as potential members, which might inspire more people to join.
- Take advantage of the possibility to make sub-folders in the gallery to keep track of entries from old contests and future challenges without making the gallery structure cluttered.
And hopefully much more. If you have suggestions for what you would like to see happen, when we (sooner or later) become a Super Group, you are most welcome to mention them in a comment on this journal.
I've started a donation pool on my profile page to collect the required amount to become a Super Group, so if you could spare a point or two that would be lovely.
I'm also entering #artnouveau
's Super Group contest
, because who knows? We might be lucky.
Beautiful art from the group's previous contests: